Sunday, July 24, 2011

Attitude In The Workplace: Knowing Yourself As A Way to Improve Your Work Quality



Attitude in the workplace is sometimes one of the most difficult to discuss. Whenever some executives approach me to discuss how they can improve their attitude at work, I usually tell them to start with themselves. I am a big advocate of first looking within yourself before you start looking externally.
How can one speak about improving their attitude without first looking hard at themselves? It is always easier to blame external factors when sometimes the fault lies with us. If you want to improve your attitude in the workplace start by knowing yourself and asking yourself these questions.




1. What Am I Really Good At?




Here is the first check of your attitude. Do you really know what you are good at? Why is this important? Based on my experience, I see many young executives demonstrating their frustrations just because they do not know the answer to this basic question. It affects their work attitude. They start to lose their temper and start to blame their bosses and company for not giving them the right opportunities.

2. Do I Really Belong Here?




When you find that your values and principles do not match with those that your work provides then you need to think hard about your choices. Left unchecked, it will just contribute to negative attitudes at work. You start to feel frustrated.
Sometimes, our life values and principles change with our life stages. For example, I used to clock long hours at work when I was a bachelor, sometimes 18 hours on end. I was happy giving my all. After all I lived alone in the city. But when my first child came along, my values changed. I no longer wanted to clock those hours. So, ask yourself if you really belong here?



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A simple, young guy with dreams to hit up the sky and with the faith and belief that one day I will achieve what I dream. I always live my Dreams and wear my passion.